Acne Skincare Routine

So - my first proper post! Apologies for the delay, but unfortunately a new term at university leaves little time for beauty musing. 

Today I am going to be sharing my skincare routine. This is a routine which has been evolving for years, and one which will probably continue to change - it is not yet perfect! Some products I have been loving for years and some are very recent additions. I will talk you through my routine from morning to evening, explaining what I love (and not-so-love!) about the products I'm using. I will probably come round to doing in-depth reviews about certain products, so for now I will try and keep it somewhat brief. 

Important note - my skin type is oily/slighly acne-ridden with scarring. Although I don't necessarily believe in products only "allowed" to be used for one skin type, this might be useful to note.

Enough rambling - enjoy! 


STEP 1 - CLEANSE



Soap & Glory Face Soap & Clarity 3-in-1 Daily Vitamin C Facial Wash

This is a fairly recent addition to my skincare routine; it was part of a Soap and Glory gift set I recieved for Christmas, at which point I had run out of my previous 'morning' face wash. It was an instant hit - it feels so light and refreshing, the kind of face wash that makes your face feel cold after you use it due to the purifying ingredients. One of my bug bears with face washes is when they leave your skin feeling tight and stripped after use, and this one certainly does not. It perfectly cleanses my oily morning-skin without overdoing it. Pictured is the mini version (I've already gone through one of them!) but I'll definitely be purchasing the large 350ml bottle once it runs out - and at only £8 it definitely won't break the bank - even for a uni student!


STEP 2 - SPRITZ 



This step is not entirely necessary, but this product is an absolute Holy Grail of mine. It instantly refreshes (perfect for those post-night-out-pre-9AM-days) and is great if your face wash does leave you feeling a little stripped and tight. I also swear by this as a makeup finishing spray - but maybe more on that in a makeup post! It's also an easy replacement for a toner with which you don't have to faff about with cotton wool pads. 

STEP 3 - MOISTURISE 



I will probably write more about this in another post, but discovering Vitamin C really changed the skincare game for me, particularly The Body Shop's Vitamin C range. Having said that, this moisturiser is not my all-time favourite. It's not bad by any means (if not a little sticky) but it is not one I am particularly loyal to. I don't have a regular, go-to daytime moisturiser (not one that I can afford anyway, thanks to Clinique!) so reccomendations are welcome! That's not to say that this moisturiser is not pleasant - it is light, refreshing and absorbs very quickly and does seem to be a good makeup base, it's just not anything I'd write home about (just on my blog instead!). 

This is the end of my morning routine and the point at which makeup application happens! 

Step 4 - REMOVE MAKEUP



This cleansing butter is one of those products I don't think I will ever switch up. I had a little heart attack once when I went to restock and it was out of stock online AND in my nearest store! I am a strong believer in makeup removal, particularly in makeup removal NOT by makeup wipes! Again, this will probably be a post-topic of its own. This cleansing butter is nothing overly fancy, just a metal tin full of the smoothest, easiest to use butter which melts off makeup perfectly. I smear it over my makeup-full-face and wipe off with a hot flannel. I truly believe this is the best way to remove makeup, at least for those with problem skin like mine!

STEP 5 - CLEANSE 





This is another one of the products which I see as a milestone in my skincare journey! In the evening, I like to use a slightly stronger cleanser than my morning one, to make sure that my face is as thoroughly cleansed-as-can-be. This wash is a chemical exfoliant, containing Glycolic Acid which breaks down build up on the skin's surface (not as scary as it sounds!). Because of this, it is reccomended to only use it 2-3 times a week. I use it 3 nights a week, and when I'm not using it I just replace it with my usual Soap and Glory wash. For oily/spotty skin, I'd really reccomend this. Mario Badescu is slightly on the pricier side (this wash is £14) but since you use it infrequently and you only need a tiny amount, it lasts forever - definitely worth it. 

I usually pair this cleanser when I use it with my Clinique Sonic System Purifying Cleansing Brush , which really makes the product penetrate into the skin and, I think, makes cleansing much more effective - especially for those with acne skin. 

STEP 6 - MASK 



This obviously isn't in my routine every night (though I'd be lying if I said I haven't used it on consecutive nights because of how lovely it is) but it certainly is my go-to mask. Although a skin whitening mask sounds a bit odd, it is used to combat acne scarring or skin discolouration - and it really does! One of the most disheartening things about acne is that even when it does begin to clear up, you are left with battle scars which are often more difficult to rid than spots themselves. But, this mask really does help lighten and brighten the skin to reduce the visibility of scars. Recently, my skin was in a bad way, and I did an intensive course of this mask where I used it every night for a week, and it really did actually transform my skin. Couldn't reccomend this highly enough! Again, pricey, but if you use it as reccomended (ie not nightly!) then it does last. 

STEP 7 - TONE/EXFOLIATE


At this point, I'd have usually used a toner for some final cleansing/refreshingness, however I have recently purchased the Glossier Solution after seeing some incredible before/after images on their social media of its effect on acne & scarring. I've only been using it for around a week, so no massive chage as of yet in scarring, but it has definitely already changed the texture of my skin massively, making it extremely soft and radiant. I will definitely be doing a full review after their reccomended transformation period of 4 weeks! If you are stuck in a bit of a skincare rut and have spotty/oily skin, definitely head over to Glossier's website to have a look at their claims for this product.

STEP 8 - MOISTURISE 




Rosehip Oil

One of the most common misconceptions about oily/spotty skin is that moisturiser shouldn't be prioritised, or should be applied sparingly, or is some kind of devil-cream. Another turning-point in my skincare journey was realising that this is NOT the case! Only when I steered away from over-drying my skin did my acne actually improve. So, I love to use rich moisturisers at night. As you can see, I love the Clinique moisture surge so much that it is depressingly empty! Clinique moisturisers are next-level, but so not student bank account friendly. So, when I am out of Moisture Surge (I tend to guilt trip my parents into buying me another when I'm home from uni!) I use Rosehip Oil, which is lovely and soothing and also good for acne scarring. It can also be picked up incredibly cheap, I usually just purchase whichever is cheapest on Amazon. Oils are great for intense moisture, and don't need to be avoided if you have oily skin!



So, that is a whirlwind tour of my skincare routine. It seems a lot, but a few of the products I mentioned arent used on a daily basis. Generally, the routine consists of cleansing, some kind of intermediate (spray/tone/chemical exfoliant) followed by moisturiser. If you have troubled skin of any kind and you feel stuck in a skincare rut, a good place to start is by establishing a simple skincare routine, even if it is just cleansing and moisturising. Adding layers and layers of products probably isn't the most efficient use of your time or your pennies! 

Thank you so much for reading if you have made it this far - I would absolutely LOVE some feedback as this is my first post (if anyone even reads it!) and any reccomendations or requests for future posts.

Have a great day! 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts